Lexicon (by Max Barry) a review

Hello there,

It seems that my approach to this story was a little bit wrong to be reviewing this book as this book now that I have read the complete book together it isn't as linear and I will summarize the plot now

First of all we have a rebel group, that is emily the beggar girl from the beginning but we are led to believe that its the guy that picked up will and is investigating the pure word left in broken hill a town that officially speaking has been abandoned by a disaster with the mining factories. Thye investigate if the word is still there. which it kinda is? I don't really know even with all the twists

we are at the same time also given a back story to woolf which seems at times to be a different person from emily but as the story progresses we are given more and more clues that this is one and the same person. Going trough her life from the moment she is picked up to go trough the school for this organisation, which doesn't seem to be an organisation run by the goverment like some kind of secret service agency like the CIA or FBI or something but seems to be more and more something like the illuminati the further I progressed trough the story (maybe I have to read the first book by max barry called Jennifer goverment maybe it is set in the same universe as Lexicon)

The story progresses as kind of two seperate storylines that merge into a third storyline. Namely the hunt for the word that made everyone kill eachother in Broken hill first by will and the other guy whom is part of the organisation who holds power by words for some reason that reason being neurological impacts of those words in the human brain.
and then Emily/woolf on her way to go rogue against the organisation and become a normal human being as it is kind of forbidden for people of the organisation to form relationships, with the main focus on romantic relationships as this makes people more vunerable to being influenced and they don't want your loyalty to be with someone else, and emily doesn't want that anymore since the organisation killed the first person she kinda loved? And she went batshit rogue after and went her own way which they wanted but this is rather being that they send her away and she falls in love. resulting in the endign conflict between her and the organisation. If you are conviced to buy the book, and want to support this blog might I suggest buying it via one of the ads on this article?

My opinion is that I think the twists in this book (for me at least) are done quite masterfully and I appriciate them for what they are, and they caught me offguard even tough I was getting the turning points in the book but I will give this book 7/10 because at times its being to confusing.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog